Witness Assistance Service
The Witness Assistance Service (WAS) is part of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and its purpose is to assist witnesses giving evidence for the State. Witness Assistance Officers also offer support to victims and their families.
The WAS can:
- provide information about Court procedures and legal processes
- provide crisis counselling, debriefing from Court and referral to services in the community
- liaise between witnesses and DPP staff
- provide Court familiarisation tours
- attend meetings with witnesses and victims; and
- assist in the preparation of victim impact statements.